Okay so this is from Michael's mom, not Michael (his letter this week is below) but I wrote a few random things down when we were able to talk to him on Mother's Day that I thought would be fun to share.
- KFC is the only food chain he's seen in Ecuador. Half of the KFC sell mainly beans and rice. The other half sell only ice cream.
- Milk is sold warm and it comes in boxes or bags.
- We ask what he misses. He said his Dad's turkey sandwiches, his mom's enchiladas and Byron's carne asada.
- While we were talking to him on Skype, children came over and stood behind him and just wanted to talk to him. He was so cute with them. He says that happens everyday, all day. They want to touch his "golden hair"and hear him speak English. The other missionaries call it "The Gift of Barney" (yes as in Barney the purple dinosaur) because children follow him around wherever he goes.
- He said the worst meal he eats is cow stomach with peanut butter spread on top.
- Ecuadorians put Christmas lights on everything all year round, including their phones and cars.
- We ask what most people do for work in Ecuador. He said every house is a store. You just knock on a window and they open it up. He also said every car is a taxi. The restaurants are also in homes and they serve mainly chicken with rice.
- We ask about his apartment. He said the outside is pink and green; mushrooms grow on the ceiling and three and four inch long cockroaches and spiders are everywhere.
- We ask him what he loved most about his mission. He talked about how kind and loving and good the people are. He talked about Sis. Elma, his Ecuadorian Mama who tells them to come in each time they are walking by and feeds them.
So love this kid!!!